Monday, September 27, 2010

Raising a Parent: Chapter 1

I found it interesting that the author speaks of growing up in Gary because I can certainly relate, for I am from a town located in Northern Indiana as well. The ethic segregation he described is still in effect to this day, although it is steadily decreasing with increased immigration from other regions and countries. The city I was born in, Elkhart, is similar to Gary in its reliance on factories, which has lead to its great downfall with the current recession. In addition to similarities in the location, my parents also forced me to take part in activities that my heart was not in, all though it was sports rather than religion. I can completely relate to the author’s desire to miss even one meeting, without avail. At the time, I had no interest in playing sports and exercising constantly, although over time I grew to be quite a decent athlete with their assistance. Looking back now, I do see that keeping in shape was beneficial and helped to keep me healthy, if nothing else. I now have a desire to return to the exercises, although not the game itself.

He speaks of elders who have lost their independency as being seen as “out of touch” or a nuisance, which is very sad to think that a person can be reduced to such. However, this is a very real situation. I volunteered at a hospital during my high school years, and it always was disturbing to hear my peers speak of the patients in a terrible manner. Regardless of their condition, they are still human beings that deserve respect and compassion. This also brings to mind many instances in the news of abuse in nursing homes. It is unbelievable how widely these beliefs spread in our country.

When the time comes that our parents reach an age or deteriorated state in which they depend on us as we depended on them growing up, it is a chance to slightly repay them for the things they gave up for us. It was not until recently that I realized how much time, effort, and money my parents put into making sure I was happy. When I was young, it was my understanding that every child was treated as well as I was and never denied anything they needed and very little that was desired. I have now come to the realization that I was treated very well and much better than others, which I try to compensate for now as much as possible. However, it would not be possible to do as much for them as they have done for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment